Installing Mac OSX on a Dell Mini 9

Posted by bookofjames on 3:38 PM

Recently I just purchased a Dell Mini 9 netbook and installed Mac OS X 0n it. Boy it runs so perfectly and blazing fast too!


Before I continue, I must add a disclaimer: if you are thinking of converting your netbook to Mac OSX, I suggest you look at the compatibility chart here, because not all netbooks are compatible for this conversion.

Here's a breakdown of my costs:
  1. Dell Mini 9 : S$499
  2. Upgrade to 64GB SSD: S$379
  3. Upgrade to 2 GB RAM: S$39

Total cost: S$914

I must say upfront that I purposely chose to get the biggest solid state drive (SSD) I could find, and that could be a bit pricey, but you can simply get the 16GB or 32GB at a much lower price. Also, I've heard that 1GB RAM will do fine, so there's really no need to upgrade it unless you find it slow.

Here's what you will need:
  • Your Dell Mini 9
  • A Runcore SSD (16GB or bigger)
  • A retail copy of Mac OSX Leopard
For the method that I used, you will need to have a Mac already, because that is where you will be doing most of the prep work. If you don't have a Mac, I suggest you borrow from a friend (or ask me for help) because this method is really the most simple. If you really can't get a Mac, then other methods will require you to have a USB thumb drive that is 8GB or bigger.

The detailed instructions I followed can be found here:

Its really so simple. They even have the instructions on youtube so even a dummy can do it. I've embedded the videos here for you. Have fun!









Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Comment by Anonymous on June 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Long time no see. Interesting blog. Whats your opinion between the Iphone and Iphone lookalikes?

 
Comment by bookofjames on June 8, 2009 at 6:01 PM

the rest are fakes.

only the REAL THING will do. :)

 

Post a Comment